Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up – Sept. 20, 2014 – Seattle
Locations: Seattle Central Public Library; Hotel Monaco; Rendezvous/JewelBox Theater
Conference Duration: 10:00am – 11:00pm
Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up
(Seattle Central Public Library, 1000 4th Ave., Microsoft Auditorium)
10:00am: Doors Open
10:00am – 10:30am: Morning Registration Period
10:15am – 12:00pm: Writing Workshops (4th Floor)*
Workshop schedule coming soon!
* Workshop attendees, please bypass main registration and go directly to the 4th Floor to the Workshop Information table.
10:30am – 12:00pm: GRNW Reader Meet-Up! (Microsoft Auditorium)
Join us for a rollicking meet-up as readers gather to gab about their favorite books and authors. Plus, giveaways, FREE BOOKS, games, and more!
10:30am – 12:00pm: Pitch Sessions with Publishers
GRNW is hosting seven publishers who are accepting appointments to hear pitches from authors. Publishers participating are: Bold Strokes Books, Decadent Publishing, Dreamspinner Press, eXtasy Books, Harmony Ink Press, Less Than Three Press, and MLR Press.
Please visit the GRNW Pitch Sessions page for more info and to make an appointment. (Appointments are required to participate in the pitch sessions.)
12:00pm – 1:00pm: Afternoon Registration/Lunch Break*
Come to the Microsoft Auditorium to pick up your badge and swag bag!
*Be sure to grab lunch during this time! Conference snacks will be provided, but they will not replace a full meal.
1:00pm – 5:00pm: GRNW PROGRAMMING (Microsoft Auditorium)
1:00pm – 1:40pm: Opening Session and Keynote Address
Plenary Panel Discussions’
Each panel consisted of a discussion with the panelists and the moderator, followed by a Q&A session with the audience. There will be short breaks between panels.
1:50pm – 2:40pm: Panel 1 – Writing the Rainbow: Exploring Queer Romance Writing
This panel discussion will examine multiple perspectives on writing within the LGBTQ romance genre, including genre definitions and tropes, different subgenres, writing (or not writing) sex scenes, and other topics.
Anne Tenino (Author, Frat Boy and Toppy, Too Stupid to Live)
- Jove Belle (Author, Love and Devotion, Edge of Darkness)
- Ginn Hale (Author, Wicked Gentleman, Lord of the White Hell)
- Jordan Castillo Price (Author, Among the Living, Meatworks)
- Rick R. Reed (Author, Chaser, Legally Wed)
- Karis Walsh (Author, Sea Glass Inn, Mounting Danger)
2:40pm – 2:50pm: Break
2:50pm – 3:40pm: Panel 2 – Printed Love: A Discussion with LGBTQ Publishers
This panel explored LGBTQ romance from the viewpoint of publishers. Discussions included navigating the challenges of an evolving publishing market, submission recommendations, where they think LGBTQ romance is headed, and other topics.
Tracy Timmons-Gray (Gay Romance Northwest)
- Len Barot (President, Bold Strokes Books)
- Laura Baumbach (Owner, MLR Press)
- Megan Derr (Head of Operations, Less Than Three Press
- Tina Haveman (CEO, eXtasy Books)
- Anne Regan (Publisher and Editor, Dreampspinner Press/Harmony Ink Press)
3:40 – 3:55pm: Break
3:55pm – 4:45pm: Panel 3 – The Evolving LGBTQ Romance Genre
Otherwise known as the return of the popular Diversity Panel! This panel explores special topics such as diversity (or lack thereof) in LGBTQ romance, and how the genre is evolving.
Nicole Kimberling (Author, Turnskin, Primal Red)
- David-Matthew Barnes (Author, The Jetsetters, Swimming to Chicago)
- Rose Christo (Author, Gives Light, The Place Where They Cried)
- Lori L. Lake (Author, Gun Shy, Under the Gun)
- Pearl Love (Author, The Uncertain Customer, ‘Til Darkness Falls)
- E.E. Ottoman (Author, Selume Proferre, The Memory of Blood and Lotuses)
4:45 – 5:00pm: Closing Remarks and Looking Ahead
We will cap off the conference will a call to action as well as information about the book fest and the conference after party.
Other 2014 GRNW Meet-Up Conference Activities:
* Select titles by GRNW Attending Authors will be available for sale courtesy of the University Book Store.
* The Gay City LGBT Library Book Drive will run throughout the conference. For every book donated, you will receive a raffle ticket and a chance to win prizes!
* Free conference snacks and swag will be available.
Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up Book Festival
(Hotel Monaco, 1101 4th Ave.)
The GRNW 2014 Book Fest is free to enter and open to the public!
5:00pm – 8:00pm: Book Festival (Paris Ballroom, one floor down from the lobby.)
5:30pm – 7:30pm: Signings and Meet & Greet with GRNW Attending Authors
Please see the list below or visit the GRNW Authors page for a full list of the 2014 Attending Authors.
Other Book Fest Activities:
* The Book Fest will feature free appetizers and a cash bar for cocktails and other drinks.
* Book Fest games will be going on, with prizes for the winners!
* Free books and special giveaways will be awarded throughout the Book Fest.
* Lots of free swag from publishers and authors!
* Select titles by GRNW Attending Authors will be available for sale during the Book Fest courtesy of the University Book Store.
* The Gay City LGBT Library Book Drive will run throughout the Book Fest.
* GRNW Community Partners will also be featured.
7:55pm: Bus leaves to After Party (Hotel Monaco to Rendezvous)
The After Party is in downtown Seattle at the Rendezvous Bar, and can be reached by walking (25 minutes), cab/uber, or a short metro bus ride ($2.25 fare),
For those who prefer, there will be transportation at the Hotel Monaco to the venue provided by GRNW. Seats are first-come, first serve. Attendees should arrange their own transportation back to their lodgings following the party.
GRNW After Party
(Rendezvous Bar/JewelBox Theater, 2322 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98121)
The After Party is free to enter and open to the public!
8:00pm – 11:00pm: After Party and Mingling (Rendezvous Bar)
GRNW has the Red Velvet Lounge reserved upstairs, but please feel free to hang out in the whole bar!
8:30pm – 10:00pm: “5 Minutes in Heaven” Short Readings (JewelBox Theater*)
Listen to short saucy and fun short readings by attending authors, and yes, you can bring your drinks in with you! (Schedule of readings coming soon!)
*The JewelBox Theater is inside the Rendezvous.
GRNW 2014 Attending Authors
GRNW 2013 Authors will be available for meetings fans and answering questions during the Book Fest. 2014 Attending Authors include:
- Lynda Aicher
- Astrid Amara
- Talya Andor
- Eric Andrews-Katz
- Cate Ashwood
- David-Matthew Barnes
- Laura Baumbach
- Jove Belle
- Heidi Belleau
- Angela Benedetti
- Kade Boehme
- L.C. Chase
- Rose Christo
- Diana Copland
- Adrianna Dane
- DP Denman
- Megan Derr
- Charley Descoteaux
- Kim Fielding
- LE Franks
- Stormy Glenn
- Amelia C. Gormley
- Cat Grant
- Ginn Hale
- Dena Hankins
- Daisy Harris
- J. Tullos Hennig
- David Holly
- Laylah Hunter
- Amber Kell
- Nicole Kimberling
- Morticia Knight
- Lori L. Lake
- Emma Lanner
- Pearl Love
- Belinda McBride
- Kate McLachlan
- Sasha L. Miller
- M.J. O’Shea
- E.E. Ottoman
- Samuel Jarius Pettit
- Alex Powell
- Jordan Castillo Price
- Blak Rayne
- Rick R. Reed
- Devon Rhodes
- Charlie Richards
- Jeffrey Ricker
- EJ Russell
- Tara Spears
- Andrea Speed
- Draven St. James
- Ethan Stone
- Lou Sylvre
- Anne Tenino
- Jay Vaughn
- Karis Walsh
- Sheri Lewis Wohl
Visit the 2014 Authors page to learn more about who is attending!.
GRNW Sponsors and Partners
Old Growth Northwest and the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up wish to thank the following organizations for their support of GRNW 2014:
GRNW Sponsors: Blind Eye Books, Bold Strokes Books, Decadent Publishing, Dreamspinner Press, eXtasy Books, Harmony Ink Press, Less Than Three Press, Loose Id, MLR Press, Riptide Publishing, Samhain Publishing
GRNW Partners: Gay City, Gay City LGBT Library, Lambda Literary Foundation, Pride Foundation, Queer Geek!, Rainbow Romance Writers, Rose City Romance Writers, The Seattle Lesbian, University Book Store
Questions about the schedule for the 2014 Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up and Book Fest? Please contact Tracy Timmons-Gray, Event Coordinator, Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up.